St. James’ Church

Commonly referred to as “Jora Girja” meaning “twin church for its twin spires” is a Catholic shrine located in West Bengal called “St James’s Church”.  This church is located in Kolkata and considered to be “one of the most elegant churches in the City of Joy”. Historically speaking the foundation stone for this “elegance personified church” was laid on 7th June 1862 by the then acting Lieutenant-Governor of Bengal John Peter Grant. Furthermore, architectural style used to design this church is essentially “Gothic”.

Read more: 10 WORTH VISITING INDIAN CHURCHES

a. Best time to visit the St James’s Church

The ideal time to travel to this wonderful church is in between October to March when the climate in the “City of Joy” i.e. Kolkata is usually very pleasant with, the temperature ranging a maximum of about 11 degrees Celsius to a minimum of about 9 Celsius degrees.

b. How to reach  St James’s Church

St. James' Church Map

1. By train:

The closest railway station to this church is located in Howrah in Kolkata. The Howrah Railway Station is well connected to most of the major cities in the country.

2. By road:

If you intend to drive to this church then the ideal starting points would be Bhubaneswar, Cuttack, Puri, Patna, and Kolkata.

  • Via Bhubaneswar:

There is one route from Bhubaneshwar to this church, and it is via NH16.

  • Via Cuttack:

There is one route from Cuttack to this church, and it is via NH16.

  • Via Puri:

There is one route from Puri to this church, and it is via NH16.

  • Via Patna:

There is one route from Patna to this church, and it is via NH19.

  • Via Kolkata:

There are two routes from Kolkata to this church, and they are via AJC Bose Road and via Sasi Bhushan Dey Street and AJC Bose Road.

3. By air:

The nearest airport to this church is located in Kolkata. The Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport is well connected to major cities in the country as well as to international destinations.

c. Religious significance of the St James’s Church

The history of this catholic shrine states that this current church was constructed in order to replace the old one (first established in 1829 by Bishop Reginhald Herber) located in the Nebotolla Lane in Kolkata. The reconstruction was undertaken simply because the beam of the old church was completely destroyed by a “white ant” attack. Furthermore, there were attempts made to renovate the old church. However, since the attempts to repair the damage turned out to be futile with the roof of the church falling over the renovation plan was officially abandoned in 1858. It was then decided that it would be more sensible to build a new church in a more suitable location. As a result of which the St James’s Church that currently stands was eventually constructed in 1864, and was blessed by Bishop Cotton on July 25th.

Also Read: WHY ARE PILGRIMAGE SITES IMPORTANT IN INDIAN CULTURE?

image credit

Powered by AskGalore

LEAVE A COMMENT