Godiji Parshwanath Temple
Dedicated to the 23rd Jain Tirthankar Parshwanath is a Jain shrine in Maharashtra known as Godiji Parshwanath Temple. This “Jain Temple” is located in the city of Mumbai in the “Pydhonie” area. This temple was essentially initially constructed as a “Griha Jinalaya” by Sheth Amichand of Khambhat which was shifted to Pydhonie in 1803. Furthermore, it was finally in 1812 that the “Pratishtha” (installation) ceremony for this Jain temple was then conducted. In addition, this temple basically built using “brick and wood” was then reconstructed in 1989 using marble.
Read More: 10 AMAZING JAIN TEMPLES IN INDIA
a. How to reach Godiji Parshwanath Temple
Godiji Parshwanath Temple Map
1. By train:
The closest railway station to this temple is located in Mumbai Central. The Mumbai Central Railway Station is well connected to major cities situated on the western railway line.
2. By road:
If you intend to drive to this temple then the ideal starting points would be Pune, Thane, Kalyan, and Navi Mumbai.
- Via Pune:
There is one route from Pune to this temple, and it is via Bangalore-Mumbai Highway/Mumbai-Pune Highway.
- Via Thane:
There is one route from Thane to this temple, and it is via Eastern Express Highway/Mumbai Agra National Highway and Eastern Exp.
- Via Kalyan:
There is one route from Kalyan to this temple, and it is via Eastern Express Highway/Mumbai Agra National Highway.
- Via Navi Mumbai:
There are two routes from Navi Mumbai to this temple, and they are via Bangalore-Mumbai Highway/Mumbai Highway/Mumbai Pandharpur Road/Mumbai-Pune Highway/Sion Panvel Exp and Eastern Exp.
3. By air:
The nearest domestic airport to this temple is located in the suburb of Ville Parle/ Santa Cruz while, the international airport is located in Sahar. Both the international and domestic are well connected to major cities and countries respectively.
c. Religious significance of the Godiji Parshwanath Temple
The idol of the primary deity of this Jain temple i.e. Lord Parshwanath has apparently been transported from Mirpur located in the Sirohi district in Rajasthan to its current location in Mumbai. In addition, this temple was constructed in honour of Lord Parshwanatha, the 23rd Tirthankara of Jain religion who is supposed to have attained “Nirvana” in 777 BC. Furthermore, this temple was also reconstructed using marble in 1989 replacing the “brick and wood” structure.