Palayam Juma Mosque
Officially known as “Masjid-i-Jahan-Numa” which means “world reflecting mosque” is a Muslim shrine in Kerala commonly known as Palayam Juma Mosque. This “masjid” is located in the city of Thiruvananthapuram in close proximity to a church and a temple. Apparently this mosque is supposed to have been constructed in the year 1813 AD during the British Raj. It was built with the intention of creating a place of worship to recite the “Id” prayers. Furthermore, it was a renowned social worker and powerful orator Sheikh Abul Hassan Ali Al-Noori who became the first “Imam” of this mosque.
Read More: 10 MAGNIFICENT MUSLIM SHRINES IN INDIA
a. Best time to reach Palayam Juma Mosque
The ideal time to visit this mosque is from October to February during the winter season when the climate is extremely “cool” with the mercury dropping to as low as 15 degree Celsius.
b. How to reach Palayam Juma Mosque
Palayam Juma Mosque Map
1. By train:
The nearest railway station is located in Thiruvananthapuram itself. The Thiruvananthapuram Railway Station is well connected to major cities in the country.
2. By road:
If you intend to drive to this mosque then the ideal starting points would be Thrissur, Alappuzha, Kollam, and Madurai.
- Via Thrissur:
There is one route from Thrissur to this mosque, and it is via NH66.
- Via Alapuzzha:
There is one route from Alapuzzha to this mosque, and it is via NH66.
- Via Kollam:
There is one route from Kollam to this mosque, and it is via NH66.
- Via Madurai:
There are two routes from Madurai to this mosque, and it is via NH744 and Thiruvananthapuram Thenmala Road and via NH44.
3. By air:
The closest airport is located in Trivandrum. The Trivandrum Airport is well connected to cities in the country as well as to international destinations.
c. Religious significance of the Palayam Juma Mosque
The foundation of this mosque was built way back in 1813 AD in Thiruvananthapuram when the British Indian Second Regiment was positioned over here, and a small place for “Id” prayers was set up. It was then in 1848 the sixteen regiment of the British Indian Army comprising of Jamadaar and Havildaars that then began undertaking full-fledged constructing of the mosque that included building of the gate and the maintenance work of the main building of the mosque. Furthermore, it was much later in the year 1960 that many businessmen and government officials joined forces to renovate and thereby give this mosque its current day look. This renovation was carried out under the leadership of Qazi and Imam Moulavi Sheikh Abul Hassan Ali Al Noori.
Also Read: 8 MOST VISITED PILGRIMAGE SITES IN INDIA